httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dummy <evolut...@prodigy.net.mx>
Subject .htaccess file retrieved by browser
Date Fri, 17 May 2002 00:12:51 GMT
Hello folks,

I've rented a FreeBSD 4.4 virtual server with Apache/1.3.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6a
installed. The providers are a Verio subsidiary (or I think it's Verio
itself), formerly iServer.com

The problem I have is I'm able to retrieve with a browser the .htaccess file
from any directory of my site.

I tried to perform many web and maillist archives searches, but none of the
different wordings I chose brought any useful result.

I've used a .htaccess file to allow directory indexing in a particular
directory within the site, and the IndexIgnore directive makes this file
invisible to the browser.

But when I tried to request the file directly (e.g.
http://site.com/dir/.htaccess), with surprise I found Apache served the
file, and I was able to read it as plain text.

I tested this in some other directories and the result was the same.

I don't know if this behavior occurs by design, or is a reported bug in
Apache, or even if it is a particular configuration problem.

Isn't Apache supposed not to serve this kind of files? Is there some
httpd.conf directive I can turn on to solve this?

Because of some hosting clients I have, I strictly need to be able to use
.htaccess files.

Thanks in advance,
Andres Bianciotto
an 'Argie' in Mexico