httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Grace" <rub...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Why does it works only if chmod 755?
Date Sun, 19 May 2002 03:40:30 GMT
From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@home.ro>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 7:48 PM
Subject: Why does it works only if chmod 755?

> Hi all,
>

> I've tried to chmod 744 my html directories, and I think this should let
the
> others to view my pages because they don't need to execute anything there.
> I can't view the html files because I get a 403 error.

-- snip --

> Do you have any idea why I can't view the files with 744 rights?

The 'execute' permission on a directory is more accurately the permission to
see what's in a directory. Thus, 744 will let other uses read what's in the
directory (if they know the exact filename) I believe, but they won't be
able to list the contents of the directory. This _may_ affect some other
things as well (i.e. testing to see if a file exists or determining a file
size).

Setting the 'execute' permission on a directory does _not_ enable users to
execute files within it -- the execute permission must be set on each file
within it to have this functionality.

-- Daniel Grace