httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowal...@imag.fr>
Subject Restrict public_html to some users
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:29:12 GMT

Hello.

IS there a smart way to make Apache read the Userdir directories only
for some allowed users, without use of .htaccess files (these can be
deleted by users).

For example : user1 and user2 both have "~/public_html/" directories,
but I only want user1 being able to have a personal web page. The URL
http://server/~user2/ should return an error, and
http://server/~user1/ should work.

In my actual configuration, personal web pages are stored on a
separate disk, on which I create allowed user directories, and I use
some rewrite rule :

UserDir /path/to/user/pages/PEOPLE
RewriteEngine on
RewriteLog /var/log/httpd/verimag/rewrite.log
RewriteRule ^/path/to/user/pages/~(.*) /PEOPLE/$1

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
Nicolas.