httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nigel Cole <N.C...@sc98c.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: apache causes big Acrobat PDF-Files to fail - true?
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 13:43:15 GMT
In message <9F99B7E279B1D3119E560000D11C57428EB950@MAILKOELN>, "Albl,
Thomas" <thomas.albl@staedtetag.de> writes
>the readme-file from adobe acrobat-reader says that the failure to serve
>blank pages from PDF-Files (often by big ones) comes out of apache. They
>give the hint to upgrade apache to 1.3.17 or above.

I've always had problems with serving PDF documents to the Adobe Acrobat
plug-in using Apache (even up to 1.3.22). Looking at the headers showed
the plug-in submitting a strange HTTP request (it wanted both a
conditional and a partial response, which I think strictly speaking
doesn't have a defined response). All problems went away when users
switched to launching Acrobat as a helper application instead of a
plug-in; I eventually wrote a crude handler that prevented PDF files
from being byte-served, which also cured the problem.

This was on a Sparc Solaris 2.6 system, with the Solaris Acrobat 3
plug-in.

--
Dr. Nigel Cole