httpd-users mailing list archives

From Adam Powell <apow...@theonion.com>
Subject Em Dash/Apache/Netscape 4x bug
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2002 19:55:11 GMT
Hello! I'm new to the list. I've searched the archives, but couldn't find
an answer, so bear with me if this is obvious.

When I use SSI, Netscape 4x browsers on both platforms gets weird
rendering specific ISO characters.

Before I began using SSI as the fundamental construction of the site,
&#8212; worked well on all browsers to render an "em dash" (you know, the
funky long dash).

But now that I've set everything up as includes, &#8212; performs spottily.

By far the best performance all around comes from using the *named* ISO
equivalent, &mdash; This works in almost every browser, except for, you
guessed it, early netscapes.

Netscape 4x browsers on both platforms simply print out the string &mdash;
rather than the corresponding character, which looks sorta like --.

This looks dumb, and the Onion has many many of these.

Is there an Apache workaround? Because this is resulting from SSI bugging
on includes with the # sign or the & in them (variously), I think. Anyone?

Relevant url:
http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3813/justify3813.html

Thanks!

Adam Powell