httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hasanuddin Tamir <...@trabas.com>
Subject Re: Your production apache server
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 16:12:01 GMT
Hi James,

On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, James L. Morris <jmorris@grn.georet.net> wrote,

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Apache.  I need some wisdom from some of the more experienced
> Apache admins out there.
>
> When you build an apache server, what do you typically compile in?  I

To my personal local need, I compile all standard modules statically.

> know from reading the list that mod_perl and mod_php must be compiled in
> at build time ... but is there anything else that cannot be loaded as a
> module?

Yes there is, the core (http_core.c). It must be there all the time.
Seriously, mod_perl and mod_php are third party modules. They are not part
of the standard distribution. You can compile them both long after you have
apache compiled and running well, provided that you've prepared apache to
handle such situation (see below).

> My biggest aggravation is getting my server built "just-so" only to find
> out I need to recompile because I need a feature that cannot be loaded
> as module.  This has not happened yet ... but I want to avoid wasted
> time as best as I can.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, most features are implemented in
modules. In fact, one of the coolest features, the one that allows you to
add features (via modules of course) without recompiling apache, is
implemented in a module (mod_so).

--
san->http(www.trabas.com)
{If Linux doesn't have solution, you have the wrong problem}