httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hasanuddin Tamir <...@trabas.com>
Subject Re: cgi question
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:53:11 GMT
On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Admin <kompukit@naisp.net> wrote,

> and thats why I also respoded in this way...
>
> 8)Exec format error:  < this tells me...that what I said about the space being
> inserted, (due to html editors etc)  could be the problem...I've had that happen to me
> on numerous occaisions....finally resorted to using either notepad, or a wonderful
> free html editor called Arachnophilia
>
> in a previous email/post...I also suggested that perhaps his permissions were incorrect

Frankly, this is the first time I know there's such error, "Exec format
error".  I think I know what kind of error I would encounter should the
problem had something to do with configuration, so I did a little
experience.

First, I created a little script called hello.cgi.

    $ cat hello.cgi
    #!/usr/bin/perl

    print "Content-type: text/html\n\n",
    "hello, world\n";

    $ ./hello.cgi

    hello, world

I accessed the URL http://localhost/cgi-bin/hello.cgi and my browser
displayed the same content as expected. I then took away the # character
from the first line, and now I got internal server error. And the error log
says,

    [Tue Apr  9 22:40:29 2002] [error] (8)Exec format error: exec of
    /usr/local/apache/cgi-bin/hello.cgi failed

Btw, I hear somebody writes perl script with html editor and that causes
misplaced space?

--
san->http(www.trabas.com)
{If Linux doesn't have solution, you have the wrong problem}