httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Help with .htaccess paths on Windows
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 18:53:17 GMT
On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Steve Lim wrote:

> Hello fellow Apache users,
>
> I just installed apache on windows and I'm trying to wrap my head around it.
> Regarding the issue of htaccess and password protection to various
> directories/folders.. I seem to be having a problem which I believe is
> related to how my path is being interpreted by apache.
>
> here is a sample of my .htaccess file.
>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "short description"
> AuthUserFile C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Apache2\htdocs\.htpasswd

Apache pathnames must:

1. Always use forward slashes; and
2. Be surrounded in quotes if they contain spaces.

> <Limit GET POST>
> require valid-user
> </Limit>

Please throw away whatever documentation told you to do that.  Remove the
<Limit GET POST> and </Limit> lines unless you intention is to ALLOW all
other methods like PUT, DELETE, etc.

Joshua.