httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject RE: redirect directive: avoiding recursive loop
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:39:59 GMT

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Jack L. Stone wrote:

> I've followed this and wonder how to redirect from one main server with an
> outside connection and IP (gateway/dns/mail 192.168.0.1 & www.xxx.xxx.1) to
> another one that is connected on the same internal network (like
> 192.168.0.5 & www.xxx.xxx.2) that I want to use as a separate server with
> its own IP....?
>
> I have dynamic IP now (using dynamic DNS service), but that changes this
> week and I will have multiple permanent static IPs. Not sure what to
> change....if can be redirected in apache or should be done on network
> interfaces.
>
> The present public dynamic IP is picked up on a tun0 interface upon
> connection and the main server has 2 NICs.
>
> .....appreciate xpert tips on best way.

If you can't access the www.xxx.xxx.2 site directly with a web browser
from outside your network, then a redirect will do you no good.  It simply
tells the browser to make a new request with a new hostname.

If I understand your question correctly, you need to have both external
addresses associated with the gateway machine.  Then the gateway machine
must pass requests for the internal machine through using either port
forwarding (at the OS level) or proxying (at the apache level).

Joshua.