httpd-users mailing list archives

From "c2z4s9" <c2z4...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Redirect
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:47:32 GMT
thank you... I am not worried about browsers complaining in this case.  I
was just wonding if it could be done.  Using _default_ does not work.

https://_default_ doesn't seem to work.

-----Original Message-----
From: Horner, Jonathan J. (JH8) [mailto:JH8@y12.doe.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 11:34 AM
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: RE: Redirect

You are going to run into some problems here:

1.  You do need to specify the protocol (http or https), like this:

	RedirectMatch ^(.*)$ https://my_server_name$1

2.  SSL keys are very name sensitive.  Unless you buy the key or generate
the
key for a specific IP (not sure how this would work), or for a specific name
then
redirect to that name, you will have SSL warning dialogs.  Next time you go
to an SSL-enabled
site, try just using an IP, instead of servername.  Unless some HTTP 1.1
Server name mapping is
in effect, you will get the same page, but with an SSL warning that tells
you the key and what you
requested don't match.  "_default_" may work, but in some cases might throw
off the SSL key and
your browsers will complain.

3.  As you see above, we usually use RedirectMatch so that all of the URL
and query/cgi strings are carried in the
redirect.  They might be carried with just a plain redirect, but we don't
like to take a chance.

If anyone else sees problems with either his or my emails, let me know.

Thanks,

Jon Horner
WebPool
jh8@y12.doe.gov