httpd-users mailing list archives

From "James Green" <ja...@stealthnet.co.uk>
Subject RE: IIS on Win2000
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:39:11 GMT
Well it's not quite that simple. Certainly with Windows you point and click,
get prompted for common configs, install, reboot, and bobs your uncle.
However in all our experience (a little presumptuous but hey..) there are
great number of factors involved from whether the software actually works
(and doesn't crash, etc.), starts up at all, to more annoying problems like
the terminology of the config tool being alien and having to stab in the
dark to "just make it work".

On Unix the hardest part is it knowing what is needed. Getting the webserver
installed is one problem although modern unixes have very powerful and easy
to use package management systems these days (Debian, FreeBSD, etc.) but
knowing that you need to get the webserver's user permissions right, and
then deploy a security system to give web users permission to write their
web pages to disk and the webserver to read them gives an addition thing to
think about (even though there is a much accepted standard nobody.nobody
system).

When I set up a remote FBSD server from scratch the hard parts were learning
how to get ports going, and getting VirtualHosts to work. The rest was dead
easy.

Heh I think the hardest part for a newbie is finding out how to use vim;
once they can edit their configs they can often then download an easier
editor like nano, but they all end up spending some initial time in the
worst editor ever for a newbie :).

James