httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bruce MacDonald <Bru...@bcaa.bc.ca>
Subject 1.3.19 on Solaris7: httpd process owner -- 2 as root?
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 04:43:57 GMT
Hi all,

I'm new to Apache, but have done a fair bit of digging and am puzzled as to
the following:

This is actually Oracle 9iAS 1.0.2.2.2 on Solaris7, which is Apache 1.3.19.

I'm running apachectl as root, and have httpd.conf set with "user = Apache"
and "group = Apache", where the Apache user is modelled after "nobody".

>From everything I've read, I should see the initial httpd process owned by
root and then the server processes owned by Apache.  In fact what I get is
the initial "root" process, then an "Apache" process ("root" httpd pid + 1),
then *another* root httpd process ("root" httpd pid + 2), and then however
many more "Apache" httpd processes.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that this should happen.  Why would
there be *two* httpd processes owned by root?  Is this a security hole if I
put the server into the world this way?

Thanks very much for your insight.

Bruce MacDonald