httpd-users mailing list archives

From Justin French <jus...@indent.com.au>
Subject newbie: .htaccess files being ignored
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 15:10:42 GMT
Hi all,

I thought I'd found my answer when I found this FAQ:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html#htaccess-work

But, I'm still not having any luck.

I have a simple .htaccess file which DOES work on my ISPs server, but not on
my office test server.

<Files ~ "\.inc$">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from all
</Files>

As per the FAQ, I changed the AllowOverride to All (in the view of changing
it to something more secure later) in my httpd.conf file

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">
    #other stuff
    AllowOverride All
    #other stuff
</Directory>

Which in my limited understanding of httpd.conf and Apache, should allow
.htaccess files in my doc root to override the base settings, which should
allow the above .htaccess file to work, returning a 403 for *.inc files.

Are there some other lines in the config file, or some other FAQs / URLs I
should look at???

Many thanks in advance,

Justin French
Creative Director