httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bill -Sx- Jones <sn...@mac.com>
Subject Re: memory
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:28:42 GMT
On 4/4/02 11:21 AM, "Andrew Kunz" <kunza@tdbank.ca> wrote:

> 11 million hits on an average day (approaching 400 hits per second at
> peak). Our other memory consumers are websphere and jvms so the
> calculation for allocating memory there is easy since they are fixed.
>
> I'm really only worried about peak numbers (we do hit them under backend
> slowdowns) so based on what your saying is it safe to assume for apache
>
> (Maxclients) * (ppid memory consumption) = (max expected consumed
> memory)

Yes - to be safe you would need about 1.8e+10 RAM or about 18,000,000,000
*virtual* bytes during those *load* seconds...

I would hazard from my AIX 4x days that it would mean a machine with 4GB of
real RAM should be able to handle it.

Apache 2.0 handles shared better, however...

-Sx-  :]
My new personal quote:
Be alert!  The world needs more Lerts!  :)