httpd-users mailing list archives

From bluejack <m...@bluejack.com>
Subject Re: where is my cgi-bin
Date Sun, 14 Apr 2002 15:36:55 GMT
4/14/02 8:06:35 AM, "Hytham Shehab" <hythamshb@menanet.net> wrote:

>    am running apache 1.3.xx, i type 127.0.0.1 and it works properly, but
>when i type 127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/ it gives me 404, why? i checked the
>httpd.conf for the cgi-bin alias, and i think it is properly configured, the
>other problem is when i type kill -HUP httpd, it give me 'no process to
>kill'?

Well, clearly Apache is running. (it works on the default file, it
delivers a 404 error.) Assuming you have made changes to the
conf file, but been unable to HUP the process since then, the
changes would not yet have taken effect. Use the proper restart
mechanism:

kill -HUP `cat /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid`

Assuming that path is correct. If you installed somewhere else,
change the path accordingly.

Other things:

1) Please make sure that the actual directory exists. The configuration
   does need to map to a real directory.

2) cgi-bin typically does not permit directory listings, so once you
   have it properly configured, and the directory properly existing,
   you would expect to get a 403 error. You probably want to put a
   test cgi script in there, and test that, instead of just the
   directory.

-bluejack

   | http://www.bluejack.com      ||     reviews of science fiction |
   |                              ||     record of the writing life |