httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel Gaddy" <dga...@sparctech.com>
Subject RE: FTP WITH APACHE
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 19:35:55 GMT
Thank you for your help and kind words.

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Lopez [mailto:daniel@rawbyte.com]
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 11:33 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: FTP WITH APACHE

> Daniel,
> 	Apache is a web (http) server, not an ftp server.  Although it can appear

Er... no. Apache 2.0 supports protocol modules. Covalent (my employer)
happens to sell an FTP protocol module for Apache. Other freely available
modules implement other protocols, such as POP3

> to work like an ftp server over the web (complete with users and all),
that
> is really not its intended purpose.  May I recommend proftpd if you're on
> *nix platform for ftp serving.
> 	And, BTW, RTFM means "Read The F***ing Manual".

This is a user lists, and is one of the places were beginners turn for help.
Telling someone just to RTFM is not useful for anything other than
creating a flamewar. Instead, provide a link to the documentation and kindly
ask that person that next time, before posting a question, he or she should
read the documentation first

Daniel