httpd-users mailing list archives

From RichardH <richa...@wsonline.net>
Subject Parsing Log Files
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 06:25:20 GMT
This was posted to webhostingtalk.com and still no answers. I think most of
them are running small 300 or so user systems so the idea proposed would be
fine for them. We are looking @ 2000+ users per server (the servers can
handle that with no problem due to their configurations). This will be
virtual hosting. Please check the following and let me know of any ideas on
doing this correctly.

Original post (me):
I have looked all in here and on the net for more specific info on parsing
access logs for multiple user accounts. If I have 300 users on a server and
want to have a "log" directory in each users home directory is there a
script or a simple grep that will pull that users info from the raw access
logs and split/parse the info out to the individual log directory in each
users account so that it can then be viewed by the user with AWStats,
Analog, etc. I know this has to be accomplished failry easily but cannot
find any links or data giving the exact way of doing it. Any input would be
greatly appreciated. OS is FreeBSD4.5 w/Apache Web Server 1.3.24.

Response:
You can just put the TransferLog directive in all of your virtualhosts.

Second post (me):
The only problem with using the transferlog directive, is that for each an
every virtual host entry that is used in the manner, you have another open
file process. In time this will overload your server and create server slow
down.
By parsing out the files with a script, it reduces overall server load AND
permits the use of rewrite rules, that allow you to use a virtmap.txt type
of setup for hosting entries (in which case the transferlog entry does not
work at all).
The transferlog directive is fine for a small production server, where you
are hosting a few accounts, but for a large application, is not such a wise
idea.

Any input, tips, etc. would be be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard Hutson