httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Kenna" <andr...@stamina.com.au>
Subject RE: Using multiple virtual hosts?
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 01:26:43 GMT
Intranet = Internal network or a network that is connected to the internet but seperated via
a firewall

Internet = The world wide internet, a sort of massive intranet that covers the entire world

It is possible to have virtual hosts on  your internal network that are real internet domains,
you just have to setup your dns and routing so that all requests on your local ip range do
not go out to the internet. apache is only a web server not a router or web proxy

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Octavian Rasnita [mailto:orasnita@home.ro]
Sent: Wednesday, 17 April 2002 3:56 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Using multiple virtual hosts?

Hi all,

Please tell me if it is possible what I want and if it is, please give me
some hints.

I want to create a few virtual hosts on my computer in Apache but they are
not real hosts.
For example, is it possible to have a virtual host www.microsoft.com?
It is just an example, of course.

I ask this because if I set any local IP address  (other than 127.0.0.1),
when I type it in  the browser, it tries to connect to internet instead,
even if it is a local address.

For example, if I type 192.168.0.1 (the local address of my computer), it
tries to connect to internet.

I have Win 2k.
I also have another Linux machine and I want to connect from Windows to the
Linux  web server, but I have the same problem.

Thank you for any help.
In fact, I want to understand how an intranet works because I want to link
my 2 computers in an intranet.
Should I use a DNS? A gateway?
I know I need a web server, but do I need another software, a proxy, etc?

Thanks a lot.

Teddy,
orasnita@home.ro