httpd-users mailing list archives

From Umberto Nicoletti <unicole...@arpa.veneto.it>
Subject Re: New GUI for Apache
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 11:46:21 GMT
Hacked a little XML parser so that it would print all compatibility
information for any directive in that module and fed it with core.xml
(from which I think the core.html file is generated. You find it in
doc/manual/mod) for apache 2.0.35.
Here's what I got back (it does not print the directve to which
compatibility applies to):

compatibility
u'Available in Apache 2.0.30 and later'
compatibility
u'Available in Apache 1.1 and later'
compatibility
u'Quoting syntax for text messages is different in Apache'
compatibility
u'Moved to the core in Apache 2.0'
compatibility
u'Moved in version 2.0 to'
compatibility
u'Moved in version 2.0 to the '
compatibility
u'Moved in version 2.0 to the '
compatibility
u'Win32 only'
compatibility
u'In version 2.0, this'
compatibility
u'Moved into the core in Apache 2.0'

I think there's some work to do on the doc side too if we want to peform
auto validation.
On the other hand, if we only need to display it for help it's just
fine.

Pete Nelson wrote:

> Here's a big 'what if . . .'
>
> I've heard that the apache documentation starts out in some XML format
> (is this correct?) and then is transformed into HTML.  What if there was
> a way to access that XML, and use it to see if the config directive you
> want to use is correct for your version of Apache and correct for the
> context in which it's being used?  You could also use the XML to
> reference any 'help' on a specific directive.
>
> I personally favor vi for configuring my server, but you certainly
> could build a handy program for the novice just getting started - even
> if it was a simple editor that allowed context-sesitive help.
>
> --
> Pete Nelson, Web Developer
> <pete.nelson@ci.stpaul.mn.us>
> http://www.ci.stpaul.mn.us/

> Yeah, that is for sure! Try using the "migration tool" from IBM
> webserver
> config to Apache config, will ruin your day big time :)
>
> Still, it just sounds like lots of accounting work, version X no this
> version Y yes that, very tedious, if the tool is to work at all.
>
> Eric
>
> >In general, Unix sysadmins tend to ignore things such as this because
> of
> >their innate complexity and propensity to sod things up pretty badly.
> In
> >my own experience, it is faster to RTFM and edit the config file by
> hand
> >then try to use a GUI configurator, have it blow my configs all to
> hell,
> >and then try to fix things.
> >

> >--
> >Josh Glover <jmglov@incogen.com>
> >
> >Associate Systems Administrator
> >INCOGEN, Inc.

> http://www.kwinternet.com/eric
> (250) 655 - 9513 (PST Time Zone)
>
> Learn about the net, not the .Net!

Umberto Nicoletti - unicoletti@arpa.veneto.it | sysmaster@arpa.veneto.it
Tel. 049-8239380 (assistenza)

"We'll try to make different mistakes this time." - Larry Wall