httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: simple question
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:19:51 GMT
Matt Phelps wrote:

> I've always used
>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
>
> Be sure to be root when you do this.

To expand a little on this sound advice - RH7 has its own bundled apache
installation which is located in a way particular to RH7 (this is common
with most linux distros).

/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd is a start-script - it is a shell script which is
executed when the server gets to a particular run-level during boot
(usually run level 3). If you look inside it, you will see that it is
similar to apachectl which is the apache control script which comes with
the standard apache distro.

In any case, what it does is to execute the apache binary. In RH7, I
think that is /etc/httpd or /usr/sbin/httpd. To check, do "ps -ef | grep
httpd" and see what is running. On linux, the useful command "locate
httpd" will show you where httpd is installed.

Personally, I always feel that the bundled apaches are quickly out of
date. I run SuSe7.2 and have stripped out the bundled apache (removing
the binary, config and start-script) then installed from source in the
canonical location (/usr/local/apache). Then I make a symbolic link
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S50apache -> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl which sets
up my start script and then my binary is /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd and
the config is /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf and the logs go in
/usr/local/apache/logs and all's right under the sun.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.