httpd-users mailing list archives

From alex dyas <ad...@twowaytv.co.uk>
Subject Re: New GUI for Apache
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:37:23 GMT
Ryan Bloom wrote:
> As a quick thought.  Something I have been thinking about for a few
> years, and I know some of the other developers want to see this as well.
> There is a comment field for every directive in a module.  That comment
> field could accept an XML description of the directive, which would
> allow us to generate the docs directly from the module, and it would
> allow the server to better validate people's configs.  Finally, GUI
> programs could also use the same XML to validate configs.
>
> Ryan

Was XML concindered for config files during the design of Apache 2?

I have recently started looking at Tomcat and see that XML figures
highly in its configuration.  From a hand editing point of view it takes
some getting used to, but I can see from a broader perspective it makes
sense.  It would make things like creating a GUI config tool much
easier, in fact you instantly have a large number of GUI config tools in
the XML editors already available.

alex...

--
-= alex dyas - webmaster - twowaytv - uk =-