httpd-users mailing list archives

From Josh Glover <jmg...@incogen.com>
Subject Re: New GUI for Apache
Date Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:03:12 GMT
Umberto Nicoletti wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I'm writing a GUI for apache.
> Right now I 'only' have a working parser (in python).
> I need people to submit their configuration files so that I can see if
> the parser really works or not.

Not to cast a damper on the project, but you may be in for a rough ride.

Unix daemons tend to be designed for control by config files--text
files. Your standard httpd.conf has tons of options, some heavily
version-dependent. The problems that GUI config tools for Unix tend to
run into are based on this situation. Your GUI tool needs to know about
quite a few versions of Apache, and furthermore, needs to be able to
detect the version and handle things correctly.

In general, Unix sysadmins tend to ignore things such as this because of
their innate complexity and propensity to sod things up pretty badly. In
my own experience, it is faster to RTFM and edit the config file by hand
then try to use a GUI configurator, have it blow my configs all to hell,
and then try to fix things.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@incogen.com>

Associate Systems Administrator