httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: About .htaccess
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:01:38 GMT
Carlos Costa Portela wrote:

>         Hello all!
>
>         I have the next problem: if I want to use .htaccess features, I
> must not just put the .htaccess file in the directory I want to protect,
> but in the <Directory ...> section of httpd.conf
>
>         Is that normal of perhaps am I doing something wrong?

Remember that .htaccess files are not essential for password protection:

.htaccess is just a method of making certain directives apply to a
particular directory (including those needed by mod_auth for password
protection). To make .htaccess work you need to allow it to override the
directives in httpd.conf - that usually means doing:

<Directory /path/to/dir>
  AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

but read the docs for AllowOverride to see what else it can do...

Note that you can also make a directory password protected by putting
the mod_auth directives directly into a Directory container in htpd.conf
and never using .htaccess (that is what you do now, I think).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.