httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Irmund Thum" <it...@it97.dyn.dhs.org>
Subject Re: 502 Proxy Error
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:04:09 GMT
Hans Juergen von Lengerke wrote:
> Neumaier, Jamie H (TRANS) <Jamie.Neumaier@Trans.ge.com> on Apr 19, 2002:
>

>>I am using Apache 1.3.19 on Red Hat Linux 7.1 as a reverse proxy server.  I
>>am periodically seeing a 502 Proxy Error when trying to POST a form.
>>Following is the error message that I see:
>>
>>Proxy Error
>>The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
>>The proxy server could not handle the request POST
>>/efactory/eDCC/dccDesg.jsp.
>>Reason:  Document contains no data
>>
>>Apache/1.3.19 Server at devssogets.trans.ge.com Port 80
>

> There is nothing wrong with your reverse proxy. Look for the error on
> the server that runs /efactory/eDCC/dccDesg.jsp.

in your case the Java Server Pages from the remote server probably
simply have a timeout.

for me it looks like that
"502 Bad Gateway"
is a very general statement (rfc 2068):
"The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server"
Reasons may be:
- interface defect
- upstream server and the gateway/proxy do not agree on the protocol for
exchanging data (misconfiguration)
- poor IP communication between back-end computers, chain broken

any other ideas, suggestions?
thanks

--
_ ___