httpd-users mailing list archives

From Kyle <k...@ccidomain.com>
Subject Re: .htaccess - 404 works, 500 doesn't
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2002 19:46:52 GMT
New info:  When I put the ErrorDocument 500 directive in the virtualhost
section, it catches 500s as expected.  But when I copy the directive
from httpd.conf to .htaccess, Apache doesn't use the requested 500 file
anymore - it throws the Apache default instead.

THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM because I obviously won't let my customers modify
the httpd.conf file (yikes)!  I do however, allow them to use .htaccess
files.

Here's the virtualhost section of httpd.conf (WORKS):
<VirtualHost 10.1.1.5>
...snip...
   ErrorDocument 500 /cgi-bin/nice500.cgi
   DocumentRoot /net/www/wfp86007/www
   ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /utils/cgi-bin/
   AddHandler cgi-wrapper .cgi .pl
   Action cgi-wrapper /cgi-bin/cgiwrap/~wfp86007
</VirtualHost>

.htaccess in /net/www/wfp86007 (500 WON'T WORK, 404 WORKS):
ErrorDocument 500 /cgi-bin/nice500.cgi
ErrorDocument 404 /404.htm

To answer Joshua's questions:
> are you editting the right config file?

I only have one httpd.conf on the system & the one .htaccess file is
redirecting 404s, so yes I believe I'm using the right .htaccess file.

> Are you placing the directive in the right part of the config file?

There is no right place to put directives in .htaccess as far as I can
tell.

> Are you restarting after making changes?

And yes, I restart Apache when I change the httpd.conf, but you
shouldn't have to after uploading a new .htaccess.  Even so, I tried
restarting Apache after updating the .htaccess and that didn't change
anything.

Has ANYBODY successfully used Apache 1.3.22, CGIWrap, and .htaccess
together???

-Kyle