httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Error 403/404 pages
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 22:43:57 GMT
Nick Gommans wrote:

> I want to have a custom error page, but i want it to also include that
> "The requested URL /a-directory/a-file.html was not found" part
>
> Does anyone know of any available scripts taht i can modify to do taht? or how
> to use a variable that gives me that in my .htaccess file?

Do the following:
ErrorDocument 404 /cgi-bin/printenv

And then request a non-existant file.  You will see that apache provides
all sorts of information in environment variables to error documents.
The easiest way to use this info is using server side includes.
See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/custom-error.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/custom_errordocs.html
and also see Apache 2.0 which comes with a bunch of ssi pages for errors.

Joshua.