httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Setting up Apache for CGI programs on windows 98
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 13:55:34 GMT
> Peter wrote:
>
> I am trying to configure apache to run on Windows98 so that I can
> develop a Web site with forms using CGI programs.
> I have followed the instruction in the web site
> http//www.visca.com/clueless/perl_apache_win9x.htlm which provides a
> tutorial on installing Active Perl and Apache 1.3
>
> I can start the Apache server and can run perl programs
>
> However from Internet Explore entering localhost fails  It cannot find
> the index page in the designated directory.

The HOWTO page you are referring to tells you to do a trick whereby you
set up your server to respond to www.mydomain.com and then you hack your
hosts file so that this maps to 127.0.0.1. Did you do this?

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with your localhost definition. It's
better to point your apache server at localhost directly. In other
words,

ServerName localhost

then restart apache

> I can get the page up by specifically entering the directory path.
> When the form is submitted it tries to down load the CGI program
> rather than run it.

This is just file lookup in the browser - not using the server at all.

Rgds,

owen Boyle.