httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: Problem "httpd dead but subsys locked"
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:03:14 GMT
Sivakumaran Raman wrote:

> Thanks a lot,
> I was able to get my server (both secure and non-secure) to start up from the
> /etc/init.d/httpd script by commenting out the "Listen 80" line in the
> httpd.conf file. I don't know if this is the right way to do it but someone
> with the same problem on the Red Hat Support forum for Apache had suggested
> this. Thanks a lot for the info about starting the /usr/sbin/httpd binary
> directly in the secure mode using the -DSSL option.

I'm not entirely sure why that worked...

The addresses and ports to which apache listens are controlled by the
BindAddress and Port directives (both now out-of-date) and by the Listen
directive (the modern approach - it can define address and port number).

If you do not define any of these, apache will listen to all addresses
(equivalent to BindAddress *) and port 80 (equivalent to Port 80). This
situation is equivalent to "Listen *:80".

The trick is, as soon as you define one Listen directive, the default
behaviour gets overridden and apache only listens to exactly what you
tell it to. Probably, you had something like:

Port 80
Port 443