httpd-users mailing list archives

From Admin <kompu...@naisp.net>
Subject Re: cgi question
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:45:03 GMT
and thats why I also respoded in this way...

8)Exec format error:  < this tells me...that what I said about the space being
inserted, (due to html editors etc)  could be the problem...I've had that happen to me
on numerous occaisions....finally resorted to using either notepad, or a wonderful
free html editor called Arachnophilia

in a previous email/post...I also suggested that perhaps his permissions were incorrect

Owen Boyle wrote:

> Admin wrote:
> >
> > yes...it's odd...only if you have failed to add the handler/ext " .pl " to that
line
> > DUHHHHH   and THATS exactly why...he is getting the error...
> > look again at the extension on the filename...it is:  "cart.pl"
> > not cart.cgi
>
> Look at the error message. This is not what happens if you make the
> mistake you are describing.
>
> > [Tue Apr  9 08:42:50 2002] [error] (8)Exec format error: exec of
> > /var/www/html/snowbankih/cgi-bin/ihcparts/cart.pl failed
>
> As I stated in a direct reply, this is caused bby a faulty shebang line
> trapping a system error.
>
> If you request a file which is supposed to be a CGI but you haven't
> defined it as a CGI with AddHandler or ScriptAlias, apache will assume
> it is a plain file and simply serve it so the client will just get the
> perl script in his browser. You will not get an "Exec format error".
>
> There's no need to get all hot under the collar - we're all trying to
> help one another here!
>
> Rgds,
>
> Owen Boyle.

<******** http://www.myispnet.net ********>