httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: cgi question
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:10:42 GMT
Admin wrote:

> you didn't understand what I said...presumably.
>
> YES addhandler DOES have a default that is setup...
> when you install apache its default extension that is
> (by default) setup is files with the " .cgi " extension ONLY.
>
> I only asked if he had also added the ext " .pl " to the addhandler line?
> Just in case his script that was giving him trouble, had that ext.
> if you don't specify this ext in that line as well, scipts with that ext will NOT
> work.
> aparently YOU are not aware of this, and therefore the reason you replied thusly.

I understood you perfectly and you gave sound advice for someone who is
having trouble using AddHandler. However, the questioner already said he
was using ScriptAlias so advice re AddHandler is orthogonal and could be
confusing.

I am interested to learn that AddHandler (which is general directive)
has a default. If so, it is not documented... Anyway, his error is:

> [Tue Apr  9 08:42:50 2002] [error] (8)Exec format error: exec of
> /var/www/html/snowbankih/cgi-bin/ihcparts/cart.pl failed

which is a funny one.

> to the questioner:

What happens when you execute the program from the command line?

e.g.

$ cd /var/www/html/snowbankih/cgi-bin/ihcparts
$ ./cart.pl

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.