httpd-users mailing list archives

From Owen Boyle <...@bourse.ch>
Subject Re: doubt while load testing
Date Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:21:37 GMT
"Janarthanan, Prasanna" wrote:

> ya u are right.
>
> The StartServers directive in httpd.conf is 8, the number of httpd getting
> forked at first when i run (apachectl startssl) is more than that.( it is
> spawning more httpds). I call this StartServers directive as standard number
> of httpds.

OK but as soon as apache begins to receive requests it will start to
spawn extra servers - is this what you are seeing?

> Also , the MaxClient is confined to 256 and that is not the problem. The
> forking of this httpd process is getting more and more with the concurrent
> connections. I too know this is what it suppose to do, but can't we reduce
> or restrict it. to the standard number of httpds.

MaxClients is the directive to change - try setting it to 8 and see what
happens.

> i think this can be done by defining some good values in MaxRequestPerChild
> directive. Will this work or not?  but if i do this, performance would be
> poor.

MaxRequestPerChild controls the number of requests that a child will
serve before it dies. So it is a quantity which is consectutive in time
rather than concurrent.

> Also tell me what is meant by recompiling the apache after these
> modifications done. is that running apahectl startssl in the command prompt
> or something else i should do?? (iam new to apache web server).

You don't need to recompile apache if all you do is change these
directives in httpd.conf. You do need to restart the server (apachectl
stop; apachectl start). Only if you change the default values of these
directives by editing the .h files in the source distro do you need to
recompile.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.