httpd-users mailing list archives

From Pietro Cagnoni <pcagn...@mclink.net>
Subject Re: running out of file descriptors w/ 1.3.12
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2002 08:52:21 GMT
Sean Proctor wrote:
 > the server my site is hosted on is running Apache/1.3.12 (Unix)
 > mod_perl/1.24 ApacheJServ/1.1.2 on Solaris 8 (according to netcraft).
 > the server tells me it's SunOS 5.8 when I log in, perhaps netcraft
 > is confused.  Anyway, my problem is that ever week or two the server
 > runs out of file descriptors and I have to ask the webmaster to restart
 > the server.  he said he wrote a script to quadruple the number of file
 > descriptors, but the problem persists.  the site is www.psa.neu.edu.
 > He blames it on my page which I believe is the only one using SSI
 > and virtual includes.  Has anyone experienced this problem and know
 > the cause and hopefully a solution?
 >
 > thanks, Sean

if JServ means java, remember the java garbage collector does NOT work
for file descriptors (the memory area the file descriptor written in is
freed, but the file is NOT guaranteed to be closed).

anything based on cgi can't be involved, because it's a separate process.

mod_perl could be guilty too, but it's more difficult to leave open
files because of how the garbage collector works.

the quick and dirty solution is decrease MaxRequestsPerChild.

hope it helps.

pietro.