httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Horner, Jonathan J. (JH8) " <...@y12.doe.gov>
Subject RE: Need help with password
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2002 16:38:53 GMT
Browsers store username/password pairs in such a way as they can be
referenced via a "Realm" or server name.  The AuthName in this case will
specify realm.  If you have Realms nested in one page (images from one
realm, html from another), you will have to log into both realms.  Next time
you go through both logins, make sure the realm names are the same for each
login.  The AuthName directive for both of those directories need to be the
same if you want one login to handle both.

If you have the same realm name for both and the AuthName specified in the
login dialog are the same, look at the <Limit...> directive.  Those really
aren't very good, and could cause trouble in some instances.  I'd leave them
off, if I were you.

Thanks,

Jon Horner
WebPool
jh8@y12.doe.gov
Office:  (865) 425-5178
Pager:  (865) 417-5012

-----Original Message-----
From: Layne Meier [mailto:lmeier@ajc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 11:25 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Need help with password

I have a situation where I've created a couple of directories within my
htdocs directory and configured them within the httpd.conf file to
require a login to access them.

I created the user access file (htpasswd) and restarted the binary.

For some strange reason, the system prompts our users to enter the login
name and password twice.  Any help?

I'm including from my httpd.conf file where I'm defining one of those
directories.

Thank you,
Layne Meier

         <VirtualHost xxx.xxx.xxx.43>
         ServerName mydomain.com
         ServerAlias www.mydomain.com
         DocumentRoot /export/home/NewsTech/htdocs
         ErrorLog /export/home/NewsTech/logs/error_log
         CustomLog /export/home/NewsTech/logs/access_log combined

	<Directory /export/home/NewsTech/htdocs/ntechweb>
         AllowOverride AuthConfig
         AuthType Basic
         AuthName "ntechweb"
         AuthUserFile /export/home/NewsTech/access/ntechusers
         <Limit GET POST>
         require valid-user
         </Limit>
         require user ntechweb