httpd-users mailing list archives

From kombat-g...@attbi.com
Subject Changing Document Root Properly ?
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 02:07:01 GMT
Hi all!

Quick Question I hope.   I'm trying to set up Apache
2.0, as a test environment on my own machine to test
out cgi scripts and the like.  I can get apache to
work, but it is in its default location.  I've been
trying to get it to use my html files from from my
own directory, so I'm not confusing my junk with
system stuff.  I get the message that "You don't
have permission to access / on this server." So I
suspect that it is a permissions issue, so I think I
just don't understand what is happening. In
/home/mattk/HTML/ the owner and group are set to
mattk.  In the default (/usr/local/apache/htdocs/) I
set the owner and group to mattk to see if it would
work and it does.  In fact I can set the
DocumentRoot to any directory following that path
and it finds it just fine . ie, if I set the
DocumentRoot to /usr/local/apache/htdocs/HTML and
place my files there it likes it.  But I want to set
it to /home/mattk/HTML/ What am I doing wrong?  I
listed out a few items from my httpd.conf that I
thought might help, without including the entire
piece.

Thanks to all that have a moment to spare my sanity.

Matt

httpd.conf file snippet follows:

ServerRoot "/usr/local/apache"

#DocumentRoot "/usr/local/apache/htdocs"
DocumentRoot "/home/mattk/HTML"

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

#<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">DocumentRoot "
<Directory "/home/mattk/HTML">DocumentRoot "
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all