httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andrew Hawkes <ahaw...@unicon.net>
Subject Re: Your production apache server
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2002 17:58:14 GMT
It depends on what you plan to do with the server. In general, you should
stick mostly with the default modules, which provide a fully functional,
configurable HTTP server.

Anything that is not compiled "just-so" is a specialty module for a unique
purpose. If you have a need for these modules you will know it. In other
words, only compile mod_perl if you will be running some serious Perl code
by experienced Perl programmers. Likewise only add PHP if you'll be
running PHP code. Only add mod_ssl if you need an SSL server. These are
all extra modules that make for larger httpd processes and should not be
there unless you actually need them, because of the overhead.

-Andy