httpd-users mailing list archives

From Roetto Mike B CONT SSNO <Roett...@SUPSHIP.NAVY.MIL>
Subject mod_access broken? (Access control with partial DNS name)
Date Mon, 01 Apr 2002 20:51:08 GMT
Hello,
I'm trying to restrict access to a particular directory based on the
second-level domain name of the client. Based on the Mod_access
documentation, the apache FAQ , and several examples in the Apache 1.3.24
default config file, I setup the following:

<Directory "/var/www/html/mrtg">
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from .mysite.net
</Directory>

This produces a 403 Forbidden error, from a client machine with a name of
host.mysite.net .

However if I change to an ip address range :
<Directory "/var/www/html/mrtg">
        Order deny,allow
        Deny from all
        Allow from 192.168.3
</Directory>

Where host.mysite.net is 192.168.3.4 , this allows access.

I've tried the same with the <Location> directive, with the same results.
I've also tried .htaccess , files, all with no joy.

Am i misconfiguring here, or is this a bug in mod_access?

Thanks in advance,

-mike