httpd-users mailing list archives

From "ElectroCities" <postmas...@electrocities.com>
Subject Re: Replacing IIS with Apache on Win2k
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:28:49 GMT
1.  Microsoft does have the 2002 server extensions for non IIS servers,
including Apache, but it also assumes you have a non Windows OS, like the
Unix platform.  I don't know if they have a WIN32 version for Apache. That
is an excellent question that I will have to look farther into, as I might
try that myself....   Considering Apache's config files are a couple of text
files, it would be a hell of lot easier to rebuilt it after a crash than
having to reload IIS, apply all the service packs, and then restore the sub
web backup file and pray it works....  LOL

2. The NTSF file restrictions probably won't work under Apache, as it is
unaware of the NT user data and does not have a GUI interface like IIS.
But, Apache does have it's own internal security, but you might have to
recreate your entire user base or local groups in it.

3. Childwebs (IIS) are called Virtual webs in Apache and they work very
nice.  I have an NT box running Apache and it run virtual webs effortlessly.

Chuck

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Everts" <evertsk@myrealbox.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: 17-April-2002 9:37 PM
Subject: Replacing IIS with Apache on Win2k

I am getting sick of applying all kinds of patches for IIS on my companies
intranet server.  I was given permission install Apache if I can get
everything working correctly, so I need to have a couple questions answered.

First, we use FrontPage 2002 server extensions, can I run FP02SE's with
Apache?

Second, we currently restrict access to webpage's by using NT permissions on
the files/folders themselves.  If I use apache, will they still be able to
restrict access to the permissions by using NTLM?

One more question, we have a lot of subweb's, so that only certain people
can modify certain pages.  Can I do the same type of thing with Apache?

Thanks!

This email powered by
ElectroCities.com
Powering the Electronic Cities of the Future, Today!
Domain Names only $15.00 per year
http://electrocities.com