httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jack Nerad <jne...@cimedia.com>
Subject OT: JavaScript As Server Side Language (was Re: mod_rewrite)
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:45:15 GMT
On Friday 26 April 2002 05:02, you wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Owen Boyle <obo@bourse.ch> wrote,
>
> > jlwpc1 wrote:
> > > From: "Owen Boyle" <obo@bourse.ch>

> > > (assuming

> > > Another Apache fable.
> > > What is Windows Script Host?
> > > Is there still Netscape's Sever-Side JavaScript
> > > ( SSJS - does Mozilla - use this)?
> > > What is ScriptEase?
> > > And other web servers.
> >
> > You're obviously cruisin' for a flame-war... I'll take you up on it
> > ;-/
> >
> > You seem to disagree with the contention that JavaScript (JS) is a
> > client-sided language. OK - I give up. You're right, it is
> > technically possible to write server-sided programs (CGIs - maybe
> > even handlers!) in JS - or ScriptEase, ScriptHost or
> > ScriptNoProgrammingNecessaryJustWriteInPlainEnglish (ok - I made
> > that last one up).
> >
> > However...
> >
> > In 99% of the cases I've come across, web engineers use JS to carry
> > out simple tasks like form-checking in the browser. JS is great for
> > this and I use it all the time. On the client-side, it is wondrous
> > indeed that the Common Gateway Interface allows you to generate
> > dynamic content using any language you like. I am sure you will
> > find some poor souls who write all their CGIs in JS but they will
> > certainly be the tiny minority. For heavy text manipulation (which
> > is what web-serving is all about) there is only one language which
> > fits the bill - and I think we all know what I'm talking about...
>
> Perhaps we do. But I agree to keep it quiet in order to avoid
> useless-my-language-is-the-best-flame-war :-)
>
> Client-side validation is good to avoid overhead to send forth and
> back error input warning, but don't count on it.
>
> As to Netscape Server-side JavaScript, it only works for Netscape
> server. I never heard it used heavily even in its own homeground. It
> wasn't so popular. And it isn't.

I don't believe Netscape is the only server to support Javascript as a
server side language.  Resin (by Caucho) is a fine product that
supports JavaScript as a serverside language.  I'm sure there are
others.

See: http://www.caucho.com/articles/resin_js.xtp

I'd suggest that in the days before Tomcat and BEA WebLogic and
Websphere, no one would have seriously considered Java a server side
language either.  I'd also suggest that it is quite possible to build
heavy duty applications using JavaScript quite easily (not that I'd
want to).

--
Jack