httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Octavian Rasnita" <orasn...@home.ro>
Subject Bug in Apache 2?
Date Mon, 29 Apr 2002 00:45:13 GMT
Hi all,

I ask again because I haven't seen any answer for my question yet.
And other persons asked me private if I've received an answer, so there are
more members with this problem.

I don't know how to make Apache not to cache an HTML file.

The situation:

1. I make a file test.pl and I put it in /cgi-bin directory and the script
works.
2. I make a file named index.shtml and I use the following line for
including the test.pl SSI:

<!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/test.pl" -->

3. I open the file index.shtml in Internet Explorer and it shows the test.pl
results like it should.
The file test.pl modify itself after each run. I've tried with a counter and
a function that shows the date and time with the same results.
4. If I refresh the screen, or close the browser then open again that page
with index.shtml, it keeps showing me the old cached page with the old value
of the counter, or with the old current time.
5. I've tried to manually modify the test.pl file because I thought that if
I will modify it this way, it will show me the new version, but it didn't.
6. I've tried to modify the index.shtml file, or only to open it and save to
modify its "Modify date" and this way Apache opened the current file and not
the cached one.
7. I've tried some settings in an .htaccess file using the "expire" but as I
am a beginner, I am sure those settings were not good.

Please tell us if you have a solution for this.
Can you use a counter in a .shtml file in Apache 2?

I use Apache 2 for Windows, Windows 2000 Pro but I guess it is the same for
all OS's.

I have no problem with the same files in the same places if I load Apache
1.33.

Help!

Teddy,
orasnita@home.ro