httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Andrew Kunz" <ku...@tdbank.ca>
Subject RE: memory
Date Thu, 04 Apr 2002 16:21:31 GMT
11 million hits on an average day (approaching 400 hits per second at
peak). Our other memory consumers are websphere and jvms so the
calculation for allocating memory there is easy since they are fixed.

I'm really only worried about peak numbers (we do hit them under backend
slowdowns) so based on what your saying is it safe to assume for apache

(Maxclients) * (ppid memory consumption) = (max expected consumed
memory)

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill -Sx- Jones [mailto:sneex@mac.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 11:13 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: memory

On 4/4/02 10:48 AM, "Andrew Kunz" <kunza@tdbank.ca> wrote:

> How is anyone calculating memory usage per httpd process?  I need to
> understand the impact of 300 vrs 600 maxclients

On Unix, version 1.3.x, you do this:

Size of your main process TIMES the number you expect to SIMULTANEOUS
(say
150 per second) PLUS the number of local DB connections TIMES the size
of
any DB process EQUALS the amount of memory you must have during ANY
given
second ...

Something like that.

For example -
My E10k had 16GB RAM
My Apache processes run about 10MB each
The MySQL connections run about 50MB each

So, to serve 150 simultaneous connections per second I would really only
need aboujt 900MB ~1.2GB of RAM

600 MaxClients seems to be an awful lot to me anyhow...

HTH;
-Sx-  :]
My new personal quote:
Be alert!  The world needs more Lerts!  :)