httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ryan Bloom" <...@covalent.net>
Subject RE: sorry... newbie question...
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:57:56 GMT
> Subject: Re: sorry... newbie question...
>
> Camilla Lumme wrote:
> >
> > I've installed apache 2.035 for windows on windows 98. When I try
the
> adress
> > "localhost" IE says page not found. I've tried reinstalling,
rebooting,
> > creating index.html files in the "htdocs" directory and some more.
Can
> this
> > have anything to do with a previous installation of Personal Web
Server,
> > always have problems with Microsofts programs not wanting to
uninstal
> > correctly. But probably this has something to do with wrong options.
> Apache
> > is installed as service on port 80, domain and server name set to
> "default",
> > the name of this computer. The server is installed in
> > c:\mydir\programs\apachegroup\apache2. I've tried the manual, but
can't
> > figure it out. Can anyone help me with settings or somthing? THank
you!

> The basic directive which makes apache listen to an interface is
> "Listen". Check the docs for this directive to understand it fully,
but
> you need at least:
>
> Listen 127.0.0.1
>
> to listen to the localhost interface.
>
> This assumes also that you have not set the Port directive (which
> defines the TCP/IP port) and so it is till at its default of port 80.
If
> Port is defined, check it is set to 80.

The Port directive has been removed in Apache 2.0.  Your configuration
should have something like the following:

Listen 80

If that is there, then you should be able to receive pages.  What
messages are in the error log?  Does the console say anything when you
try to run the server?

Ryan