httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Lisa Gerlich" <l...@nisd.net>
Subject mod_expires/mod_headers do not appear to work
Date Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:12:28 GMT
Hello,

I am running Apache version 1.3.12 on a BSDI unix box.  I am attempting
to not have web browsers/proxy servers cache any page from the local
website for very long as we are having an internal problem with some
caching systems.

I have the following lines uncommented in my httpd.conf:

LoadModule expires_module
/usr/contrib/libexec/apache/mod_expires.so
AddModule mod_expires.c

LoadModule headers_module
/usr/contrib/libexec/apache/mod_headers.so
AddModule mod_headers.c

I also added the following directives to httpd.conf:

ExpiresActive on
ExpiresDefault A60

Header Add Expires 0
Header Add Progma no-cache
Header Add Cache-Control no-cache

(The Header references were added after trying to use the expires
module - as per a suggestion from the archives)

After modifying httpd.conf, I restarted the server with "apachectl
restart".  I loaded a page from a server into my browser and viewed the
source.  I was expecting to see header entries suggesting rules for the
browser to use when caching,  but I don't see anything like that between
the <head> </head> tags.  Perhaps I don't know what I am looking for.  I
cannot find anything in my html/xhtml book (O'Reilly - 4th edition)
that refers to any code that will help to control caching behavior.

Perhaps, I am not looking for the correct tags or directives. Or maybe
I my assumptions are wrong and I need to test in another way.

Thank you,
—-Lisa&

Lisa Gerlich
Senior Network/Systems Administrator