httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Recompiling considerations...
Date Sun, 31 Mar 2002 01:46:01 GMT

On Sat, 30 Mar 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:
> > Also I want to make changes to the file that is now httpd.h, before I
> > install so that the name of the Apache server's banner is not displayed,
> > but rather a banner I define. Any ideas?
>
> Not sure what you are asking here. If you want to change that string to
> something else, then change it. Are you having trouble doing this? Am I
> missing something?

Nice to see you hanging around here, Rich.

I know I should just keep my mouth shut, but since the issue of changing
the Server HTTP header has come up a couple times in the recent past, let
me just point something out:

I don't care what your "security expert" tells you, changing that header
is a waste of time.  It is like pasting a "Pinto" lable over the bumber of
your Lexus and thinking it will stop people from stealing your car.  Your
time is much better spent learning about more general security issues on
the web.

Joshua.