httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Directory restriction exceptions
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:01:28 GMT

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Pelton, James wrote:

> I have a number of directories that each contain files I have
> restricted. They also each have a table of contents file named
> indextoc.html that I want available to the general public. As I don't
> create the folders with the content, I want to do this in an abstract
> way -- as such, I'd rather not use .htaccess. When I've tried following
> the Directory statements with a File statement that is meant to grant
> access to the one indextoc.html file, the statement is ignored. When the
> directory statement is commented out, I'm able to successfully
> manipulate the file's properties using the Files command. Any
> suggestions? I'm using 1.3.2 on NT 4.

I hope you aren't really using 1.3.2.  That would be completely ancient.

I recommend you reconsider your directory structure.  It is cleanest to
setup basic auth when all resources under a particular url are protected.
But if you really want to do it your way, you can try:

<Files indextoc.html>
Satisfy any
Allow from all
</Files>

Note that this will also circumvent any host-based access restrictions.

Joshua.