httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Reppucci <...@logsoft.com>
Subject Re: newbie apache questions
Date Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:45:48 GMT
On Sun, 17 Mar 2002, Dale Therio wrote:

> One thing I am wondering is do I really need to setup
> individual cgi-bin directories for my other hosted domains?
> None of the folks using those domains really do anything other
> than html. I will have perl and php on the server for them to
> use if they desire, but I don't believe that requires such a
> folder.

No. If they don't need a cgi-bin directory, don't configure one for
them.

> If I do not set it up now, will it be difficult in the future
> to add such a "special" folder?

No, it's trivial.

> I would also like to run 2 independent copies of apache on one
> server. One copy with only fastCGI and mod_perl for my ad
> server, the other more fully loaded which will be for my
> development server to test my primary site before going live.
> How difficult is it to run and manage 2 seperate copies of
> apache on the same machine - or is this not recommended?

Not difficult. Just do some pre-planning to make sure the components
of each server are not comingled.  I do this a lot, when I'm setting
up an environment where I know the two servers will eventually live
on separate hardware, but I don't currently have the hardware in
place.

> I also wonder what your recommendations are for setting up
> virtual domains. This would be name based domains.
>
> My root directory is /var/www/html - per the default
> configuration. Should my virtual domains be under the html
> folder or at the same level as the html folder (at the same
> level as the www folder)?

I like to set up my tree like so:

   $ROOT/server/virt

where $ROOT is the root directory under which all apache stuff
lives, 'server' is the "role" of the server I'm running, and 'virt'
is the virtual host running under there (when needed).  This leaves
me with a tree like so (using some sample names):

  /apache		# Root of all apache stuff
    /www		# My public server
      /htdocs		# content
      /cgi-bin          # cgi scripts for my public site
      /perl             # my mod_perl module tree
    /intranet		# My Intranet server
      /htdocs
      /cgi-bin
    /clients
      /www.foo.com	# Vhost for foo.com domain
        /htdocs/	# ...their content
        /cgi-bin/	# ...and cgi scripts, if needed
      /www.bar.com	# Vhost for bar.com domain
        etc.

Having separate servers does a couple of things for you:
- It makes it possible to do reconfigurations on one without
affecting folks using the other, e.g. I can try out changes on my
public server without affecting my clients who are using the other
server.

- It makes it easy to move a server to an alternate host when new
equipment becomes available.

There are ton of ways to do this, this is one that's worked well for
me, but I'm sure others will have their own ways.

--
Steve Reppucci                                       sgr@logsoft.com |
Logical Choice Software                          http://logsoft.com/ |