httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Reppucci <...@logsoft.com>
Subject Re: Apache
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:37:36 GMT

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Bill Olson wrote:

> When I setup freeBSD, I gave it the DNS name of pizza.suscom-maine.net and
> when I put that name under apache, It doesn't work. Im just about ready to
> hang it up.

Look, it's pretty simple, here's an off-the-top-of-my-head intro:

The 'ServerName' needs to be set to something that can be resolved
locally.

If you have a real, resolvable hostname in your httpd.conf:

    ServerName pizza.suscom-maine.net

At the shell prompt, try:

    nslookup pizza.suscom-maine.net
or: dig pizza.suscom-maine.net +short

This *doesn't* resolve for me, so if this really is the hostname you
want, you need to either get your DNS service provider to add an
entry to the 'suscom-maine.net' zone for your ip address, or else
you need to add a line to your /etc/hosts file like this:

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  pizza.suscom-maine.net

(Use your ip address in place of the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

NOTE: that if you do just add this to the /etc/hosts file, others
will not be able to connect to this server, as they have no way of
mapping that name to your ip address, but it'll at least get you
started.

Hth,
<Steve>

--