httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Reppucci <...@logsoft.com>
Subject Re: Cleaning log files
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:56:49 GMT

You are correct, my statement that the file is unlinked is wrong
(funny how many times after you post something to a public list you
find a glaring error in your statements, huh? 8^), but I maintain
that 'cat'ing /dev/null to an open log file is *not* something that
should be relied upon, as I know it causes failures on some Unix
flavors. (If I remember correctly, this did not work on Solaris
2.6).

The 'mv' option *is* safe (safe == reliable), but the key point is
apache will continue to write to the 'mv'ed file until you tell it
to reopen its log files, thereby having it close the old file (which
now has a different name) and open a new log file with the original
name. Sending it a 'SIGUSR1' is the documented way of doing this.

<Steve>

--
Steve Reppucci                                       sgr@logsoft.com |
Logical Choice Software                          http://logsoft.com/ |