httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: Apache 2
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 18:43:11 GMT

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Steven Pierce wrote:
> I am a member of a linux group, and last night we had our first
> SIG meeting.  Well that is what it is being called at this time.  An
> one of the items that came up was an interest in seeing the new 2.0 of
> Apache.  I understand that it is still in beta, but is it stable enough that
> it can be used?
>
> I know that Apache is always stable, but where is the developement
> at, at this point??
>
> I have read the apache web site, but it does not talk about what
> is really going on currently.
>
> So any information that anyone can provide would be helpful.

Apache 2 is stable enough to be used, conditional on doing your own
testing to assure that everything works properly on your site.  Of course,
the same is true for Apache 1.3.  It is always your responsibility to
assure that the software works properly for you.

A final release of Apache 2 may come very soon, but it is really
impossible to predict with accuracy.  It depends on the priorities of the
various developers involved.  However, it has been running on apache.org
for a long time, and has been very stable there.  I think it is ready for
production use, again conditional on extensive testing in your own setup.

Joshua.