httpd-users mailing list archives

From Saqib.N....@seagate.com
Subject Re: digest authentication problem
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:20:06 GMT

I would highly suggest not using Digest. not all browser support and not
all apache authentication modules support it either. Instead try to use
HTTPS. When using HTTPs all the authentication traffic is encrypted as
well.

Saqib Ali
=======================
http://davtest.seagate.com/b2 -> my daily BLOG

                    Jack Baty

                    <jbaty@fusion        To:     users@httpd.apache.org

                    ary.com>             cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: digest authentication problem

                    03/20/2002

                    04:19 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    users

vlady wrote:
> The problem is that for any reason just one specific user of the
> authorized users is able to connect to "htdocs" dir, cinse for the
> "cgi-bin" directory there is no problem. I spend a lot of time creating
[-- snip --]

Could this be a browser issue?  This is unfamiliar territory for me, but a
recent eWeek article describes an incompatibility with certain browsers
(IE)
and the digest authentication used by Apache.

    "The upshot is that IE cannot be used as a Web client for any
    Apache-based Web application that uses digest authentication. In
    addition, every non-IE browser we tested couldn't be used as a client
for
    any Internet Information Services-based Web application that uses
digest
    authentication. (We tested this with Mozilla.org's Mozilla 0.9.9, Opera
    Software ASA's Opera 6.01 and the W3C's reference browser
implementation
    Amaya; Netscape Communications Corp.'s Navigator doesn't currently
    support digest authentication. Static Web pages are not affected by the
    problem.) "

Complete article here:

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=702&a=24177,00.asp

--