httpd-users mailing list archives

From Saqib.N....@seagate.com
Subject Re: FTP Security
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:02:02 GMT

Hi Kevin,
I would highly suggest that you try to use WebDAV (http://www.webdav.org/)
to let your users manage their content. WebDAV can be made very secure by
using SSLv3. And you can use any authentication mechanism that you want.

A tutorial on setting up WebDAV on Apache with SSL can be found @
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Apache-WebDAV-LDAP-HOWTO/index.html

I use WebDAV instead of FTP on my site to let the users update their
content. It is more convinient for both the user and the web server admin.

If you have any question regarding WebDAV, please feel free to email me.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
=======================
http://davtest.seagate.com/b2 -> my daily BLOG

                    Kevin Haugh

                    <kevha@earthl        To:     <users@httpd.apache.org>

                    ink.net>             cc:

                                         Subject:     FTP Security

                    03/22/2002

                    11:27 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    users

This may be a little off topic, forgive me.

I'm new to Apache & Red hat, but things are going well so far.  I've got
Apache up and running and all my directory mapping is working great.  My
concern now is limiting access via FTP.  I want my users to be able to
connect to their public_html directory and that is about it.

As it is now, once connected they can browse around, download, and view
almost any file on the server.  They cannot change or delete anything, but
they can look around and download files via the FTP client.

At this point I don't really need to provide anonymous or guest FTP access,
I just want my users to be able upload and alter web pages.  I've been
looking around for a basic FTP security "How-to" and can't seem to find
anything that does the trick.

Any help, even if its just pointing me to a resource, would be greatly
appreciated.

FYI:
Red Hat 7.2
Apache 1.3